Okay, we didn’t really go to the zoo. (Although we’re talking about it, and I have a few ideas for including some German on the trip … so stay tuned for that!)
Today in Story Hour, we talked about zoo animals. We read books:
- Hör mal im Zoo by Anne Möller (Carlsen, 2012) – The children really enjoyed hearing the animal sounds!
- Wo ist Mami? by Axel Scheffler & Julia Donaldson (Beltz & Gelberg, 2016)
- Von Kopf bis Fuß by Eric Carle (Gerstenberg, 2011)
- 1, 2, 3 ein Zug zum Zoo by Eric Carle (Gerstenberg, 2015)
We sang songs:
- “Ich bin ein dicker Tanzbär”
- “Ein Elefant ging ohnt Hetz”
- “Unser kleiner Bär im Zoo”
Finally, the children each got to plan out their own zoo! I gave them a blank map and some animal stickers. They placed their animals and then colored the map as they chose.
Click here for the PDF map: Zoo Karte PDF
I just bought some stickers and cut them up, so that each child received the same six animals:
Here’s my example:
Here are some samples of the children’s work from story hour:
You can also do a larger version of this project using a roll of butcher paper (which you can also get at Ikea). It works best with one-on-one, as opposed to in a group. Cut off a long section and secure it to the floor with painter’s tape. Let your child help decide where the different animals live and where the paths should be. Use multiple stickers of the animals. And once your zoo is complete, add small toy animals. Use small figures to walk through the zoo. Have fun and be creative!