With Columbus Day coming up, we were going to miss our first October meeting of Story Hour. So we snuck in an extra session on the last Friday of September. Perfect timing, since fall has just begun!
We started out by reviewing numbers. I just grabbed the blocks from the play area to go over numbers 1-10. For the first book (Zehn Blätter fliegen davon), I had put sticky notes on each page to count the leaves that had flown from the tree. That way, the children had the chance to review the numbers again. At the end of the story hour, we did two activities to practice numbers.
- Zehn Blätter fliegen davon by Anne Möller (2008)
- Manuel & Didi. Das zweite große Buch der kleinen Mäuseabenteuer (“Der Apfel”) by Erwin Moser (2009)
- Der Herbst steht auf der Leiter by Peter Hacks (2012)
- “Bunt sind schon die Wälder” (Here, you can find lyrics and music.)
- “Der Apfelbaum” (Die 30 Besten Spiel- und Bewegungslieder) Click for youtube video
- “Der Herbst steht auf der Leiter”
All of these songs are available to download through Amazon.de!
1. Klebe das Blatt mit der passenden Zahl an den Baum. In addition to the handout, I used foam leaf stickers. I wrote a number on each one (1 – 10), and the children had to match the leaf sticker to the number on the tree. Download the PDF here: zehn-blatter-arbeitsblatt-gita
2. Malen nach Zahlen Download the PDF here: malen-nach-zahlen-herbstblatt-gita