In story hour yesterday, we celebrated fall with numbers and colors!
I began by using the German blocks that the library has to review numbers 1 through 10. (You can actually get the German blocks – made by Uncle Goose – on Amazon!)
We read the following books:
- Zehn Blätter fliegen davon by Anne Möller (2008)
- Manuel & Didi. Das große Buch der kleinen Mäuseabenteuer (“Die Laubhütte”) by Erwin Moser (2008)
- Manuel & Didi. Das zweite große Buch der kleinen Mäuseabenteuer (“Der Apfel”) by Erwin Moser (2009)
- Der Herbst steht auf der Leiter by Peter Hacks (2012)
And we sang the following songs:
- “Wind” by Nena (Himmel, Sonne, Wind und Regen)
- “Der Apfelbaum” (Die 30 Besten Spiel- und Bewegungslieder) Click for youtube video
- “Der Herbst steht auf der Leiter”
You can download the lyrics here: Herbstlieder
Then we did two activities:
The children were given a tree with numbers on it along with 10 foam leaves, also with numbers on each. With help from their mom or caregiver, the children matched the numbers from the stickers with those on the tree and stuck them in the appropriate place. Download the PDF activity here: zehn-blatter-arbeitsblatt-gita
I also gave children a simple Malen nach Zahlen coloring page of a maple leaf and the colors red, orange, and yellow. Download the coloring page here: malen-nach-zahlen-herbstblatt-gita
The older children only needed a little bit of help. And our younger friends enjoyed making their leaves extra colorful!