With Columbus Day coming up, we were going to miss our first October meeting of Story Hour. So we snuck in an extra session on the last Friday of September. Perfect timing, since fall has just begun!
We started out by reviewing numbers. I just grabbed the blocks from the play area to go over numbers 1-10. For the first book (Zehn Blätter fliegen davon), I had put sticky notes on each page to count the leaves that had flown from the tree. That way, the children had the chance to review the numbers again. At the end of the story hour, we did two activities to practice numbers.
- Zehn Blätter fliegen davon by Anne Möller (2008)
- Manuel & Didi. Das zweite große Buch der kleinen Mäuseabenteuer (“Der Apfel”) by Erwin Moser (2009)
- Der Herbst steht auf der Leiter by Peter Hacks (2012)
- “Bunt sind schon die Wälder” (Here, you can find lyrics and music.)
- “Der Apfelbaum” (Die 30 Besten Spiel- und Bewegungslieder) Click for youtube video
- “Der Herbst steht auf der Leiter”
All of these songs are available to download through Amazon.de!
1. Klebe das Blatt mit der passenden Zahl an den Baum. In addition to the handout, I used foam leaf stickers. I wrote a number on each one (1 – 10), and the children had to match the leaf sticker to the number on the tree. Download the PDF here: zehn-blatter-arbeitsblatt-gita
2. Malen nach Zahlen Download the PDF here: malen-nach-zahlen-herbstblatt-gita
We have loved Eric Carle’s book about the hungry caterpillar for years! I wanted to share it with Froggy’s class last week. So I created some picture cards to introduce the words. For this set, I added cards with words and numbers, too.
Included in this set are:
- image cards
- images with numbers, 1-5
- images with words (fruit in both singular and plural)
- words only
Print them full-size for wall posters or to have large images to introduce to a class. Or print them 6-to-a-page for flashcards or a memory or matching game.
If you want to use them for Memory, be sure to use a thicker cardstock, so that the images don’t show through 🙂
I’d love to hear how you use the cards!
Click here to download: kleine Raupe Posters (PDF file)
In addition to the posters, there is also a coloring page with the caterpillar and the five different fruits, labeled with colors and numbers. Download here: kleine Raupe Essen Farben Zahlen Malvorlage (PDF file)
Okay, I’m a little late on these Easter activities. But maybe you can squeeze them in now. Or mark them for next year!
#1: Wie viele Ostereier kannst du finden?
The first activity is a drawing by Lisa (our first au pair from Germany) in which the child counts the Easter eggs. Click the link to download the PDF file:
Wie viele Ostereier kannst du finden – Lisa
It looks like this:
#2: Malen nach Zahlen: das Osterei
Then there is a simple color by number I created for the school children. It has more to do with number recognition than counting. Click the link to download the PDF file:
Osterei Malen nach Zahlen
#3: Number flashcards 6 – 10
I also created some large cards for the numbers 6 through 10. (I have 1-5 to go with a farm unit.) You can print them as full 8.5 x 11 or set your printer to print 2 or 4 to a page and then cut them up. I like to laminate the pages, but you could also print them on card stock. Click the link to download the PDF file: